IUBio

corn in mexico

Regina Flores regina.flores at tufts.edu
Fri Dec 14 22:46:04 EST 2001

Hello,

I am currently involved in research project investigating the
positive and negative environmental impacts of NAFTA on corn
production in Mexico. One of the dimensions I am examining is how the
different varieties of corn have been affected with increased exports
of US corn as well as with the introduction of GE corn into Mexico. I
would like to determine how many different types and varieties of zea
mays exist in Mexico. Would it be correct to say that teosinte or
"zea mays subspecies mexicana" is the dominant species in Mexican
corn production?

I would sincerely appreciate some assistance in clarifying the
taxonomy and further classification of Mexican corn.

Can you indicate any sources that confirm that Mexico's corn
diversity includes: 40 races of maize and within these races the
plants are further classified into 300 varieties and classes of wild
relatives? Is this the correct terminology and figures? Do you have
any idea how I can determine how the composition of corn varieties
had changed since NAFTA (1994) especially in terms of wild varieties
being degraded and lost...

Can you clarify the difference between open pollinated varieties and
modern varieties, hybrids, landraces and wild races...

Please share any contacts in Mexico or the US that may be have access
to this information.

Thank you very much for your time and cooperation.

Regina Flores
Tufts University