Post Dr Assoc | Plant Breeding and Genetics Section | Maize Nutritional Genomics - Cornell University
A Postdoctoral Associate Position is available to work in the area of quantitative genetics and genomics in the Plant Breeding and Genetics Section at Cornell University. The position will be part of the NSF PGRP-funded project entitled "A Genome-level Approach to Balancing the Vitamin Content of Maize Grain." This position requires an experienced scientist to study the genetic basis of five limiting dietary vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, E) in maize grain through genome-wide association studies and whole-genome predictions in mapping and breeding populations. Additionally, this position involves the application of RNA-Seq for identifying eQTL related to quantitative variation for the levels of four B vitamins and vitamin E in grain, along with investigating the role of rare and structural variants to quantitative variation of these five vitamins in maize grain. The ideal candidate will have expertise in quantitative genetics, genomics, programming and statistics. Responsibilities will include independent research in analyzing whole-genome resequencing data sets, developing and applying statistical genetics models for complex trait dissection and prediction, and training scientists and students. The position will involve close collaboration with a dynamic team of plant biochemists, breeders, geneticists, and computational biologists.
* Ph.D. with research experience in statistics, plant or animal breeding, genetics, bioinformatics, computational biology or related discipline.
* Proficiency in constructing and analyzing whole-genome resequencing, RNA-seq, or variome data sets with genomics software.
* Experiences in conducting genome-wide association studies and whole-genome prediction of complex traits in structured populations.
* Extensive skills in programming (Python, Java, or C/C++) and statistical tools (R, ASReml, or SAS).
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a strong publication record.
* More than 3 years of experience in quantitative genetics, genomics, or bioinformatics.
* Extensive experience in integrating and analyzing RNA-seq, variome, and metabolite data sets.
* Proficiency in developing and implementing complex computational pipelines on Linux operating systems and high-performance computing clusters.
* A record of publication in the field of quantitative genetics and genomics.
* Experience in quantitative or population genetics.
* Knowledge of plant genetics and genome editing approaches is a plus.
The position will include some supervision of undergraduate and graduate students involved in research on the project.
How To Apply:
Candidates are encouraged to send a statement of interest, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references. Submit all application materials to Academic Jobs Online at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/10835 . Questions about the position can be addressed to Dr. Michael Gore at: mag87 from cornell.edu<mailto:mag87 from cornell.edu> . Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Liberty Hyde Bailey Professor
Plant Breeding and Genetics Section
358 Plant Science Building
Ithaca, NY 14853
E-mail: mag87 from cornell.edu<mailto:mag87 from cornell.edu>
Vox: (607) 255-5492
Fax: (607) 255-6683