Erase a Base

David Nunn David_Nunn at qms1.life.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 2 17:43:45 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb2.231108.22049 at vaxkiller.agi.org>,
vaxkiller.agi.org!rlynch (rick lynch) wrote:

> I need to generate sets of nested deletions.  I have been looking into a kit
> sold by Promega called "Erase-a-Base"  The company claims it is one of the most
> wonderful nested deletion kit on the market, but if I had a nickel for every
> time I heard that I wouldn't be working.:-)
> Anyone tryed it?  If so, could you please let me know what you think of it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick Lynch
> Agouron Institute
> rlynch at vaxkiller.agi.org

  I spent a lot of time once (actually twice, but I don't learn my lesson
very quickly) doing exonuclease digestions by "hand". It worked well but
took a long time to get it right. The third time I borrowed a colleagues
Erase-a-Base kit and had the deletions I needed the next day. I have since
succumbed to the kit syndrome in this case because the time saved more than
made up for the cost of the kit.  Plus the kit does last and can be used to
generate 10-25 sets of different deletions depending on your Gilson :^).
Usual sort of "I don't work for Promega" sort of stuff.

David Nunn
Department of Microbiology
University of Illinois
Urbana, IL 61801