Wizard Mini-preps

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Sun Feb 13 07:10:15 EST 1994

Although this has absolutely _nothing_ to do with Wizard Mini-preps :-)

Andre Hamel (hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:

: (although, I do wonder how effective phenol
: ext'n alone will be unless chloroform is included)

I used to prepare RNA from E. coli by the hot phenol method. Basically,
you extract the bugs with hot (65C) phenol for three times. To get rid
of your DNA afterwards you have to digest with DNase. So I assume it is
ok to say that phenol is effective if chloroform is omitted. I think
chloroform is included to get rid of phenol traces which might interfere
with subsequent reactions. (And what for is the IAA? :-)

--Cornelius.

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */