BioRad CHEF problems

JENNIFER W. MCKEE-JOHNSON jjohnson at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Thu Feb 17 17:20:21 EST 1994

Our lab has a BioRad CHEF Mapper that has started to "blow" its electrodes.
When we purchased the system 2 years ago, we were told that the higher
grade electrodes used in the CHEF Mapper would last the lifetime (we
figured 10 years) of the electrophoresis chamber. The electrodes are
approximately $30 each and can only be purchased in lots of 6 (and of
course BioRad is the only supplier).

Two other labs I have contacted have had similar problems after also being
told the electrodes would last. BioRad replaced all 24 electrodes in the
other lab's boxes, but would not extend the same courtesy to us.  Have
any other labs had similar problems?

Any information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Jenna McKee-Johnson