Single stranded DNA restriction??????

Shahram Mori smori at opus.nmsu.edu
Thu Oct 6 22:21:07 EST 1994

rnwil003 at uctvax.uct.ac.za wrote:
: I have been trying to find out if restriction enzymes of the type that are
: commonly used for cloning etc have any activity on single stranded DNA. Do they
: nick it under conditions which they would normally cut double stranded DNA? If
: so, do they do it in a sequence specific manner? Is this a result of the the
: single stranded DNA forming limited areas of a double stranded nature? Can it
: be prevented? I would be very grateful for any information, references or
: speculation. Please contact me at WILL at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA

: William Bourn