Transgenic mice; is it easy or difficult?

kang at msvax.mssm.edu kang at msvax.mssm.edu
Fri Mar 3 01:49:39 EST 1995

Hi Colleagues;

As an expert for making transgenic mice I wonder how many people
want to make their own transgenic mice and how easy or difficult for
them.

I am the director of transgenic mouse core in Mt. Sinai Medical
School. For me making a transgenic mice is a piece of cake. However,
sometimes I feel very sorry for some people who come to me. They
think making transgenic mice is really a big deal and planned for
years to make them. Of course you should be very careful in
planning, cause, some part it is true that  making transgenic mice is
not so easy.  But, if you are too cautious you can not make transgenic
mice forever.

Last year one of my technicians  injected 40 constructs and made
more than 150 positive founder mice. Considering he just started
learning techniques last year and worked with me for doing another
project (knock outing), I assume, a person can inject at least 100
construct per year and can make around 400 strains. Surely you
don't need that much. However, I just want to share the information
with the people out there who are doing related job and if possible I
want to open this facilities to the outsiders.

If you provide me following information it will really be appreciated.

1. Does your institution provide the transgenic or knock outing
service?

2. If yes, how many peoples are working there?

3. If no, how do you make transgenic mice?

4. How much you pay for making 1 transgenic strain?

5. How long it takes if you give them the construct till you get
positive founder?

If you have any other comment it is welcomed.

Thanks a lot

Chulho Kang
Wizard of transgenic mice.