Antibody sticks to antigen affinity column

Sat Mar 6 19:28:31 EST 2010

Hi Dima,

I forgot to mention that previously, I had coupled the ligand to BSA,
previously immobilized to sepharose, with a similar overall ligand
density (about 50µmol in 10ml of sepharose). There I could elute about
15% specific IgY in a similar exploratory experiment, So I doubt
unspecific binding of IgY. However, I also observed some ion exchange
properties of the BSA-derived material, so instead we decided to try
direct coupling of the ligand to a (appropriately modified) sepharose.
At the moment, I favor your "too high coupling density" theory. I
haven't tried stronger chaotropes like NaI and NaSCN yet, so I am
curious, what results I will get on monday. NEt3, pH 10.5 is an
additional another option. And making a smaller column which might be
better suitable for method development. In worst case, I'd revert to
the BSA based column.

Concerning IgY, it's incomparably cheap compared to mice and rabbits
and we usually get good results. Sheep and goats are reasonable
alternatives, of course, and we also use them. However, I already have
about 500mg of crude IgY waiting in the fridge for purification, so
changing the animal is not an option anymore.

Many thanks for your help!

Wo