IUBio

BSE - a question

murray at molbiol.uct.ac.za murray at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Wed Mar 27 10:15:25 EST 1996

In an earlier article someone suggested that the transmission rout of the
prion may be by ingestion and it was argued that this meant that the
infective agent was in the blood (in very low titer).  Isn't this being too
presumptive in terms of being in the blood?

I'm no expert in this topic nor do I know all the facts so don'y flame
please.

Yo get back to ingestion, wouldn't it be on interest to test this
transmission route (ie via ingestion) by seeing whether infected tissue when
treated at a pH relative to that of a ruminants stomach is still able to
infect mice, or even re-infect a healthy cow.  This would clarify the
ingestion route, blood location and neural infection.

Just interested but would appreciate some replys.

Thanks

Murray