food borne pathogens

richard richardz at cy-net.net
Wed Jan 22 10:16:12 EST 1997

In article <5c3si3$74o at sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>, lfwwfl at ix.netcom.com(linda white) says:
>Can anybody out there let me know what BAM and AOAC tests are?  What do
>the acronyms stand for?  Can you give me any procedural information
>about these tests, and the main organisms they test for?  Thanks!  

AOAC is Association of Agricultural Chemists, which publishes
authoritatve analytical methods. I don't recall what BAM is, but I seem
to remember that it is the FDA manual for microbial analysis of foods.
I could well be wrong on the latter.

Both BAM and AOAC are sources of standardized reliable methodology for
food safety analyses.  The published methods are by no means the only
methods, and many can be modified or simplified.  But if you are doing
something that might involve regulatory or legal issues (e.g. potential
torts for having put a contaminated product on the market) using 'approved' 
methods properly can provide you with some measure of protection.

More information about the Microbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net