Help ! the media for Q.A of dialysis water or distilled water.

gerne at my-deja.com gerne at my-deja.com
Fri Nov 17 18:17:25 EST 2000

I would also recommend direct counts as the problem tends to be the
poor recovery of bacteria surviving under very harsh conditions.
Ususally all those nutrients are a bit of a problem to cope with. There
is now quite some literature about the direct detection of bacteria and
in the aquatic environment we get only about 1% of the bugs that are
there to grow in the lab. You can either use image or flow cytometry
for that purpose or the hybrid technology of laser scanning cytometry
(see Chemunex or Compucyte). However, you have to consider that not all
thet you see will grow. Even the demonstration of esterase activity in
an organism does not predict outgrowth as can be seen for irradiated
cells.

For good collection for single cell analysis methods in microbiology
available freely on the net look at:

The Journal of Microbiological Methods - Special Issue
Microbial Analysis at the Single-Cell Level
Volume 42, Number 1 (September, 2000): Available On-Line

cpoy from howard shapiro:

This Special Issue, edited by Howar Shapiro, Lilia Alberghina, Danilo
Porro, Friedrich Srienc, and Harald Steen, contains a representative
selection of work presented at a conference on "Analysis of Microbial
Cells at the Single Cell Level -Why, How, When?", organized by the
Microbial Physiology Section of the European Federation of
Biotechnology, the Federation of European Microbiological Societies
(FEMS), the Società Italiana di Microbiologia Generale e Biotecnologie
Microbiche (SIMGBM), the Italian Group of Cytometry (GIC), and the
Universities of Milan, and held in Como, Italy, March 25-27, 1999.
Abstracts of papers presented at the Conference previously appeared in
The European Journal of Histochemistry, Volume 43, Supplement 1 (1999).

By agreement with Elsevier, the Publisher of The Journal of
Microbiological Methods, the full text and illustrations of all
articles is now available free of charge in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format
at
http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmicmeth

Contents

Editorial: Microbial Analysis at the Single-Cell Level
L. Alberghina, D. Porro, H. Shapiro, F. Srienc, H. Steen
pp.1-2 (1367.pdf)

Microbial Analysis at the Single-Cell Level: Tasks and Techniques
H. M. Shapiro
pp. 3-16 (1368.pdf)

FT-IR Microspectroscopy for Microbiological Studies
F.Orsini, D.Ami, A.M.Villa, G.Sala, M.G.Bellotti, S.M.Doglia
pp. 17-27 (1369.pdf)

Single-cell Analysis of Bacteria by Raman Microscopy: Spectral
Information
on the Chemical Composition of Cells and on the Heterogeneity in a
Culture
K. C. Schuster, E. Urlaub, J. R. Gapes
pp. 29-38 (1370.pdf)

A Glucoamylase:GFP Gene Fusion to Study Protein Secretion by Individual
Hyphae of Aspergillus niger
C.L. Gordon, D.B. Archer, D.J. Jeenes, J.H. Doonan, B. Wells, A.P.J.
Trinci, G.D. Robson
pp. 39-48 (1371.pdf)

Relating Growth Dynamics and Glucoamylase Excretion of Individual
Saccharomyces cerevisiae Cells
D. Porro, M. Venturini, L. Brambilla, L. Alberghina, M. Vanoni
pp. 49-55 (1372.pdf)

Real-Time Flow Cytometric Quantification of GFP Expression and
Gfp-Fluorescence Generation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
P. De Wulf, L. Brambilla, M.Vanoni, D. Porro, L. Alberghina
pp. 57-64 (1373.pdf)

Flow Cytometry of Bacteria: Glimpses from the Past with a View to the
Future
H. B. Steen
pp. 65-74 (1374.pdf)

Nucleic Acid-based Fluorescent Probes in Microbial Ecology: Application
of
Flow Cytometry
J. Porter,  R. W. Pickup
pp. 75-79 (1375.pdf)

Gel Microdroplet Technique Leaving Microorganisms Alive for Sorting by
Flow
Cytometry
T. Katsuragi, S. Tanaka, S. Nagahiro, Y. Tani
pp. 81-86 (1376.pdf)

Glucose Uptake Rates of Single E. coli Cells Grown in Glucose-Limited
Chemostat Culture
A. Natarajan, F. Srienc
pp. 87-96 (1377.pdf)

Analysis of Bacterial Function by Multi-Colour Fluorescence Flow
Cytometry
and Single Cell Sorting
G. Nebe-von-Caron, P. J. Stephens, C. J. Hewitt, J. R. Powell, R. A.
Badley
pp. 97-114 (1378.pdf)

This should be a useful reference for anyone interested in flow
cytometry
of microorganisms, and my co-editors and I thank Elsevier for making it
available.

-Howard

In article <B638B24A.54F%yjgent at home.com>,
  John Gentile <yjgent at home.com> wrote:
> We've always set up 0.5 mls on a blood agar plate and incubated for
48 hrs.
> We used a colony count of <200 for H20 and <2000 for dial fluid. We
would
> only identify organisms if there was a single colony type greater
than the
> acceptable limits. Even if the cc was high but still acceptable the
dialysis
> people would bleach out the machines - or what ever they needed to
do. A
> repeat culture a day or 2 later would almost always be CC <2/ml.
>
> --
> John Gentile                            Rhode Island Apple Group
> yjgent at home.com                         Past President, Publicity
Chairman
>  "I never make mistakes, I only have unexpected learning
opportunities"

> > From: "Simon Lee" <pedlcy at orgio.net>
> > Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
> > Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:30:01 +0900
> > Subject: Help ! the media for Q.A of dialysis water or distilled
water.

> > Is ther anyone who know the media or broth for bacterial
contamination Q.A
> > of dialysis water or distilled water.
> > Simon Lee

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/