DNA data for humans, apes and outgroup???

robison at golgi.harvard.edu robison at golgi.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 9 10:24:28 EST 1995

Ludvig Mortberg (Agneta.Guillemot at historia.umu.se) wrote:
: Does anybody know how much DNA or proteins have been sequenced in the
: apes and outgroups for cladistic analysis? I'm not interested in the
: actual sequences of course. Just knowing which proteins or sequences
: would help when I search abstracts for articles on the actual
: sequences.

: I already know of five proteins that has been sequenced (aminoacids)
: for apes and humans.

: fibrinopeptide A and B (Doolittle et al., 1971)
: hemoglobin alfa and beta (Maita et al., 1978)
: myoglobin (Romero-Herrera et al., 1976)

: Have other proteins been sequenced?

There's probably quite a few.  It would probably be relatively
easy to find all the sequences known for man, chimp, and one
other by first searching the databases for all chimp sequences,
and then using sequence similarity searches to identify which
chimp sequences have corresponding outgroup matches.

The logic behind this is that there are relatively few chimp
sequences in the databases.  If you start with them, it
should be pretty easy to identify which are missing the
needed sequences in the outgroups (if the chimp sequence is
known, then almost assuredly the human sequence is known)

Good luck!

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI