DNA data for humans, apes and outgroup???

Keith Robison robison at lipid.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 10 23:50:02 EST 1995

Ludvig Mortberg (Agneta.Guillemot at historia.umu.se) wrote:
: robison at golgi.harvard.edu () wrote:

: Thanks for your reply Keith. Do you or anybody know where and how to
: search databases for primate DNA sequences. Is it possible to do
: through the internet?

Yes.  Point your WWW browser at http://golgi.harvard.edu/genbank.html
for a quick little summary of how to access the main DNA databank,
GenBank.  There is a great little tool referenced there called
Entrez, which will let you do true taxonomic searches of the
DNA and protein databanks (i.e., you can really pull down all
primate sequences).  You'll also find the "neighboring" feature
handy -- lets you jump to sequences of high similarity.

: I feel I need to clarify what I mean by "humans, apes and outgroup". I
: want info on which genes etc. that have been sequenced for _all_ apes
: (chimp, gorilla, orang, gibbon) and an extensive outgroup (e.g.
: baboon, rhesus monkey, owl monkey, some lemur etc.), and of course
: humans.

Well, you'll have to do the search yourself.  I suspect that relatively
few genes have been sequenced in that many species in the primate lineage,
but there are definitely examples.
The databases, alas, are not really designed
to do the search you describe ("give me all genes which have been
sequenced in x,y, and z") and so you'll have to do some real work
(not meant perjoratively -- but it is plenty tedious as I know
from personal experience).  But, I suspect that you could
probably get a list of all such genes in a few days time (tops).

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at mito.harvard.edu