Survival of what?

Dan Deaguiar ddeaguia at oeb.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 24 05:33:49 EST 1995

Deep Throat (carterb at cadvision.com) wrote:
: SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST APPLIED TO HUMANS OF THE MODERN WORLD
: 	There is no doubt that Darwin's theory concerning the survival of the
: fittest is correct when applied to organisms living in nature, but it
: loses all of its integrity when applied to humans living in today's
: society's.The reason that the theory works in nature is because the
: natural world is an aesthetically pleasing place where there is no
: pity or compassion or emotion. Species exist to the best of their
: abilities, and should they die off, it's just as well, because they
: were not properly suited to their environment. If a particular
: organism is born with an advantage, it will prosper and flourish, if
: it is born with a cripple, it will perish and not reproduce. That is
: the beauty of the natural world.
: 	However in human societies, we treat everyone as equal and go out of
: our way to aid the helpless in extending their lives and leading a
: normal life.

Everyone is treated as equal? Don't fool yourself.Open your eyes dude...I
think you should
spend more time looking at what's going on around you and less time
rambling....

: Some have guessed that in thousands of years, humans will
: have evolved huge brains or will look very different then they do
: today. This will not occur, because should a freak with a larger brain
: be born, he will be treated like everyone else and not reap the
: benefits of his advantage. Likewise, should a man be born with only
: one kidney, or some other defect, he would live to pass this trait
: onto his children and future generations. That is the problem with
: human evolution. Unless things change, human's may evolve in negative
: ways, and we may not become the creatures we would like to be.
: What do YOU think?

: Brad Carter
: carterb at cadvision.com
: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm curious, what kind of "creatures" would we like to be anyway?