Me again on Evolution

Darin Trelka trelkad at jeflin.tju.edu
Sun Aug 27 15:19:25 EST 1995

I hate to disagree, but natural selection and humanity don't go together
anymore.  With the onset of modern medicine, we had effectively removed
ourselves from the process, much to our species detriment.
Interestlingly though, as I'm sure you're aware, it is at that point that
we began harnessing fire, changing our environment to suit ourselves,
that we were free of the bondage of natural selection, thereby allowing
our species to exponentially grow in relative safety (because we then
abrogated many parasitic infections by cooking meat), and new found
comfort (as any caveman will tell you, a cave is alot more cozy when its
25 degrees C as opposed to 4--in addition to keeping us warm enough to
fight off any chill that could result in a mortal viral infection).  At
this point, however, it is difficult for any of us, as rational and
feeling human beings, to allow such natural processes such as disease and
death to bolster our species, thereby allowing the forces of selection to
choose whose genes are deposited into the next gene pool.  I mean, who
would allow their son or daughter to die of polio when we have such an
effective vaccine to prevent it?  Just a perspective...

D P. Trelka