Me again on Evolution

Ram Samudrala ram at mbisgi.umd.edu
Mon Aug 28 12:58:04 EST 1995

Mary K. Kuhner (mkkuhner at phylo.genetics.washington.edu) wrote:

>You're also assuming that other causes of death aren't effective
>selection, which puzzles me.  For example, death prior to reproduction
>due to drunk driving is very common locally.  If this pattern persists
>long enough I would expect to see any genetic traits that can contribute
>to avoiding death by drunk driving to become common--either higher
>alcohol tolerance, lower tendency to drink in the first place, or
>whatever else evolution can find to work with.  (Allergy to alchohol
>might well be an advantage, for example.  Or passing out cold rather
>than remaining conscious enough to *think* you can drive.)

This assumes alcohol consumption is a genetic trait of sorts.
I don't really subscribe to this, especially to the extent you say.

I don't think we've stopped evolution... on the contrary, I think we
are the ultimate evolutionary tools---we can self-evolve (hopefully
(?) in the near distant future).

--Ram

me at ram.org  ||  http://www.ram.org  ||  http://www.twisted-helices.com/th
  Annihilation, kill 'em all!  Capitulation, watch the mighty fall.
  The road to glory is lined in red, and the reason now is gone...
  the battle rages on!                              ---Deep Purple