Reptile species via DNA.

Gregory Russell Gregory_Russell.PEDIATRICS at MAILGW.SURG.MED.UMICH.EDU
Mon Aug 28 10:10:49 EST 1995

  REGARDING           Reptile species via DNA.

I am interested in conducting a study on various reptile species and
"sub-species" within one genus in an attempt to sort out the phylogeny and
evolution of species within the genus.
I intend to use RAPDs on nuclear DNA to do this as an initial study.
I would also like to examine a nuclear gene that has a high mutation rate in
an attempt to detect any differences. Sequencing huge chunks of DNA is beyond
the scope of this initial study however, I was wondering if there is a small
region in reptiles (or vertebrates) that would be worth looking at (maybe a
small protein or a highly variable region).
Does anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks.
Greg Russell PhD.
(Research Fellow)