Phylogenetic compatative programs-shareware?

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Thu Aug 31 16:58:47 EST 1995

In article <1995Aug31.153713.28804 at galileo.cc.rochester.edu>,
Warren Lathe <madda at troi.cc.rochester.edu> wrote:
of sequences)
>You can get PAUP from (http://www.genethon.fr/exterieur/bio_catal.html#PAUP)
>Phylip from (ftp://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/pub/) and other programs
>from (gopher://megasun.BCH.UMontreal.CA:70/11/CMB/Phylogeny)

I was amazed to hear that you could get PAUP by ftp and was sure David Swofford
would be enraged to hear of this.  However on checking the site:

http://www.genethon.fr/exterieur/bio_catal.html

I find that it contains instead a large and highly useful catalogue
describing Molecular Biology computer programs.  The material on PAUP is a
description of it (written by me, actually, and taken from my PHYLIP
documentation).  So the "PAUP" that may have showed up in a keyword search
wasn't a downloadable program.

PHYLIP has a Web site, by the way, not just ftp access:

http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip.html

-----
Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)
 Dept. of Genetics, Univ. of Washington, Box 357360, Seattle, WA 98195-7360