DNA data - how useful is it realy?

Ludvig Mortberg Agneta.Guillemot at historia.umu.se
Wed Aug 30 12:00:52 EST 1995

Sequencing of genes is an industry today. I don't know how many base
pairs have been sequenced in the world, but they must lie in the range
of hundreds of millions. But what can realy be learnt from just
studying a DNA sequence? You see enhancers, promotors, introns and
exons stop codons etc. You may be able to conclude that the
polypeptide chain encoded by the gene transverses a membrane.

I suspect that much research today where people sequence genes just
for the sake of it, only confirms what we already know about molecular
biology of genes. Maybe the large amount of sequencing made draws
attention from more important fields of biology, that would require
more research.

The big issue in biology today, as I see it, is how morphogenesis and
differentiation takes place. We know today how curly hair is inherited
in Drosophila, maybe we have even cloned the gene, but how does it
become a curly hair (or a straight one) no body knows.

There's just too much sequencing in the world!

Ludvig