Genome Length

Rominy Novaes Stefani ib - bio 7552 rstefani at spider.usp.br
Wed Oct 18 14:31:31 EST 1995

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, David Thornton wrote:

> 	Hey there
>
> 	I had an Idea . I was sitting in my mol cell bio lecture learning
> about this paradox that shows that some creatures in the same class have
> larger genomes than others.  I was thinking with all that "junk" DNA does
> that make the creature better able to handle new conidtions. I mean might
> all of that junk DNA be coding for genes that are "latent" (to be used in
> time of need) or more aptly to have their effects expressed in time of need?
>
> 	Please has anyone come up with any Idea of this nature.

  David,

 I don't know if I can answer your question. Anyway, we don't have to
think that all things have one function. We can put one ring in our
finger. But this finger is not here for that.
 I am trying to say you: I do not think that the "junk DNA" is able to
"know" if, one day, it will be useful. You are talking about preadaptation.
This DNA can, one day, be useful, but it is not in the genome waiting for
this.

Rominy Stefani
rstefani at usp.br