MrBayes 1.0, a program for the Bayesian inference of phylogeny,
is now available at:
The program works for DNA sequence data. The features of the
* Implements the most general 4 X 4 model of DNA substitution possible
(the non-reversible model).
* Several different methods for relaxing the assumption of
equal rates across sites.
* Inference of divergence times under the molecular clock
constraint (the relaxed clock version will be released
later). Multiple calibrations are allowed.
* Inference of ancestral states. Uncertainty about the
tree and model parameters are accommodated.
* Inference of phylogeny using a variant of Markov chain
Monte Carlo (called Metropolis-coupled Markov chain
* A variety of methods for summarizing the results
of the Markov chain.
* Accommodation of sequencing error.
* Extensive built-in help.
Source code and a Macintosh executable are provided. You cannot
beat the price, as the program is free.
Department of Biology
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627