Out of Africa

Sanjay Kumar at Cold Spring Harbor Lab kumar at CSHL.ORG
Tue Nov 19 17:19:07 EST 1991

morphy at cco.caltech.edu writes:

> > Fellow netters:
> > 	I've thoroughly enjoyed the recent discussion on this topic,
> >   *BUT* smile face not withstanding, the comment at the end of the
> >   recent posting by morphy at cco.caltech.edu was offensive and uncalled
> >   for.  Flame each other to your hearts content but put your brain in
> >   gear and think before you type.................
>
> I need no lectures from you or anyone else on putting my brain in gear. I
> *am* a Negro and not entirely unacquainted with racial slurs.
>
> I am amused that *you* find my comment offensive.
> Jones

Your remark would still be considered offensive by many people, whether *you*
think so or not.  Bruce Roe's comment is by no means a "lecture".  It is simple
common etiquette.  The racial background of the writer should not be a factor
in deciding what is offensive.  The rules should be the same for everyone.

Sanjay Kumar
Cold Spring Harbor Lab
kumar at cshl.org