Heterozygosity and Genetic Distance

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 4 21:56:40 EST 1994

In article <dmachugh-040794125333 at gen24.gen.tcd.ie>,
David MacHugh <dmachugh at vax1.tcd.ie> wrote:

>Does anyone know of any theoretical studies concerning the relationship
>between expected heterozygosity in a hybrid population and the genetic
>distance (Nei's Ds, Da etc.) between the two parental populations?

> ... I am thinking in particular about these
>parameters as estimated using data from microsatellites.
>
>Thanks in advance.

In Nei's distance(s) if the distance between two strains is D = 0.1,
this means that the heterozygosity between strains is exp(-0.1) as
large as the heterozygosity within them.  So if you know the
heterozygosity within strains and the genetic distance you can calculate
the heterozygosity in the cross and the genetic distance, you can calculate
the heterozygosity in the cross directly.  You can't calculate it from
the genetic distance alone.

However that might apply only to the loci you used to make the distances,
especially if that were a special class of locus (such as microsatellites)
and you actually wanted to generalize to other loci.

-----
 Internet:         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)