Alu sequences and human evolution

FOSTERCMD fostercmd at aol.com
Tue Jul 19 21:07:01 EST 1994

In article <30fhlj$7vf at search01.news.aol.com>, fostercmd at aol.com
(FOSTERCMD) writes:

Subj:	all that negative energy and your questions
Date:	94-07-19 16:59:28 EDT
From:	HIGGINSS at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu
To:	FOSTERCMD

Foster,

Don't be so sensitive dude!  Ed was clearly making light of your
lack of preparation...and to make fun of a typo, please.  Look at
it this way; at least he was kind enough to let you know that you
should do some research, he could have been mean or just ignored you.

Now, on to bigger things.  The research on Alu alone will most likely
take you 6 months, if you read fast.  Alus are NOT human specific and
there is a whole-lot-of hypothesizing going on in this world.  My
personal bent on Alu accumulation is that it is clearly punctuated.
However, if one attempts to publish on this subject, one receives
strange reviews (eg. '...this is well known...' and '...that's crazy
all the evidence refuts this claim...').  So, believe what you will
but you have a serious amount of reading to do on Alu.

As far as the extraterestrial origins of life on earth, you're very
premature.  There is not enough understood about 'life' let alone DNA
to lead to a startrekesc idea.  Again it is my BELIEFE that this is
possible; DNA is kooky stuff.  However, the organics found in meteor
fragments has, to my knowledge, only been shown to be in the form of
monomers.  This is a far cry from the complex - and yes, maybe self
organized - polymers that we know and love.  Monomers are easy to form!
I think Ed's correct about PCR.  You should look into the amount of
guess work and luck that goes into amplifying ancient DNA.

My suggestion, aside from the fact that it (a previous sentence) should
state ..fragments have.., couch your ideas in the guise of prophetic
sci-fi.

Good-luck,
Sean Higgins
higginss at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu