Alu sequences and human evolution

FOSTERCMD fostercmd at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 04:21:04 EST 1994

Subj:	Re: Alu sequences and human e...
Date:	94-07-20 01:47:51 EDT
From:	drierac at deakin.edu.au
To:	FOSTERCMD

>It would be hard to know whether the alu burst corresponded to a
speciation
event. There is a school of thought that says that unique transposable
elements may be responsible for or contribute to the isolation that
acompanies speciation. This is tied up with the question of whether
speciation is commonly sympatric or allopatric. In the case of humans it
is
almost certain that speciation was sympatric.

With Drosophila there have been recorded bursts that are apparently random

and certainly not related to speciation. In addition world wide this
century, The Drosphila population has been infected first with P elements
and then active I elements. It has been postulated that these relate to
introduction of DDT and then organophosphates- but who knows?

Medline will get you a lot, perhaps all of the data. Check on the
Drosophila
literature and the C elegans literature as well. There are no good up to
date literature reviews, but a review by Fawcett and Finnegan in about
1985
covers a lot of stuff.

There is an excellent paper in ANN NY ACAD SCI Dec 26, 1993 on
transposable
elements. The authors were Steve MCKechnie and me! It is listed on
medline,
I have checked.

Hope this helps. Chris Driver
Chris Driver, Ph D
School of Biology and Chemistry, Rusden Campus
Deakin University
662 Blackburn Rd
Clayton, VIC, 3168
AUSTRALIA