some quick questions on exobiology

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Sun Jul 24 14:54:25 EST 1994

In article <30uba0$bsp at canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca> frist at cc.umanitoba.ca () writes:
>I dunno, why?

>In article <1994Jul20.220444.18261 at news.cs.brandeis.edu> story at binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:
>>Finally, a virus as I understand it is not a free living organism. So
>> to postulate space viruses one must presumably postulate "higher" cells
>> as well, out there.

In article <30uba0$bsp at canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca> frist at cc.umanitoba.ca () writes:
>Correct. Viruses are completely dependent on cell hosts for replication.

Absolutely correct!  In fact, the old debate of "viruses are life! - no
they're not!" is finally seen as silly in this light.  From
what we can gather, life here has a few basic things in common:
1) nucleic acid
2) water

Even if we limit it to that, what are the odds of "life" evolving in the
same way "out there"? slim to none I'd say.  The universality of
nucleic acid in organisms here (infectious and otherwise) is more
evidence of common ancestry and monophyly of life than it is evidence
of it having evolved multiple time here.
Fears of space viruses and other pathogens are a bit outrageous.  Even
if there were such a thing, it likely wouldn't have a compatible
"genetic" code, morover, if "it" evolved in a water-free or oxygen-free
environment, it'd likely find life forms on earth rather toxic!

Mark

Gloucester Point, VA, 23062