Evolutionary significance of RNA-containing enzymes

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Fri Oct 7 09:05:28 EST 1994

> On the other hand, both the eubacteria and the achaeobacteria lack
> introns, whereas the eukaryotes have introns, which would suggest
that
> introns arose only in the early ancestors of the eukaryotes.

Not so fast, gringo....some Archaea are known to have introns too.
And I think at least one coliphage also does.

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          |         Well, I tip my hat           |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)     |      To the new constitution         |
 | Dept Microbiology        | Take a bow for the new revolution... |
 | University of Cape Town  |  Then I get on my knees and pray     |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   We don't get get fooled again...   |
 | 7700, South Africa       |                                      |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |      - Pete Townshend, 1972          |
 | tel: xx27-21-650 3265    |      (Won't get fooled again)        |