Program for tree comparison

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Fri Apr 21 01:32:02 EST 1995

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.950420183256.2923D-100000 at pioneer.nevada.edu>,
Margaret Novack <novackm at NEVADA.EDU> wrote:
>But couldn't you mark the trees into subsets with some kind of variable.
>Something like this
>
>Tree 1 versus a set of three trees.
>
>Putting in a variable to specify subsets is easy, right?
>Tree 1 is marked as group 1
>Trees 2 thru 4 are marked as group 2
>
>Then you can have the option of comparing distances between tree 1 and
>each of the others, or comparing distances between tree 1 and the
>consensus of the three others, or both.

Well, in principle it's easy but there seem to be a lot of ways of
putting something in the file of trees to indicate which ones are
members of the same groups, and I'm still puzzled over which way of
doing that is going to be user-friendly.  There may be some "natural"
file structure that we're all missing.

-----
Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)
 Dept. of Genetics, Univ. of Washington, Box 357360, Seattle, WA 98195-7360