Gene families on the same DNA molecule?

Keith Robison robison at lipid.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 19 23:31:38 EST 1995

Ram Samudrala (ram at mbisgi.umd.edu) wrote:
: I'd like to know if there's a database or listing of families of genes
: that occur in a single DNA molecule (a single chromosome or plasmid).
: That is, gene duplication events that have resulted in multiple copies
: of genes.   In particular, I am interested in families where at least
: one member has a structure solved.  I'd appreciate any help in this
: regard.  Thanks!

There's no shortage of what you are looking for.  Many bacteria
have only a single chromosome, so all their duplicated proteins
would fall into this category.  Several yeast chromosomes have
been finished, and I'm sure they have duplicated genes.
Vertebrate immunoglobulin genes are arrayed in large clusters,
and many of these have been sequenced (or in a similar vein,
large stretches of the human T-cell receptor loci have been
completely sequenced).  Homeobox genes are another example of
local duplications.

All sequences greater than 100Kb are listed at
	http://golgi.harvard.edu/100kb/
which might be one place (of many) for you to start.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at mito.harvard.edu