Can Natural Selection Apply to HIV?

at bscr.cc.uga.edu at bscr.cc.uga.edu
Mon Jan 30 14:18:32 EST 1995

In article <3g6iik$p8 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, druisi at aol.com (DRuisi)
wrote:

>   The ultimate goal of a virus is to reproduce.  Since viruses are
> not alive, I said in a paper that since virus does reproduce, selective
> advantages would be preserved in future generations, and thus Survival of
> the Fittest does apply to HIV.
>    Please email me with your input.
>   -DRuisi at aol.com

I'd suggest another excellent book foor reading:

Information and the origin of life
Original title:  Ursprung biologischer Information. English
AUTHOR:  Kuppers, Bernd-Olaf, 1944-
foreword by Carl Friedrich von Weizsacker ;
PUBLISHED:  Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c1990.
SUBJECTS:  Life--Origin. Evolution. Biology--Philosophy.
(B.-O. Kuppers comes from the lab of Manfred Eigen, Goettingen, Germany,
for those of you who are already familiar with evolutionary models.)

The auther tries to give an molecular approach to both pre-biotic and
biotic evolution on the basis of information theory and philosophy. He
applies Darwinistic selection mechanisms on the generation of biological
information on the molecular level, and he pretty much rules out all
teleological approaches and also the earlier theories of life being the
result of a chance or random fluctuation. He calls his approach "molecular
Darwinism" but based on modern-times synthetic evolutionary theory.

Te auther tries to break up the distiction between evolutionary mechanisms
of living and non-living organisms like viruses. The major part deal with
the transition between chemical evolution on one side and information-based
and information-directed metabolism. The last feature, at least, also
applies to viruses, and consequently, this settles immediately the question
after natural selection and HIV.