fishes phylogeny

Andreas Matern alm13 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 2 07:42:31 EST 1997

In article <5mu6c6$fan at sansgene.genethon.fr>, bernot at sansgene.genethon.fr
(Alain Bernot) wrote:

> I am looking for data or references concerning the evolutionary relationships
> between Fugu rubripes (Tetraodontiform) and Danio rerio (Cyprinid fish). Does
> anybody know if these species are closely related or not, and for how
long time
> they have diverged ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Although not exactly what you asked for, perhaps this article might be of
interest:

TI  Tetraodon fluviatilis, a new puffer fish model for genome studies.
AU  Crnogorac-Jurcevic-T. Brown-J-R. Lehrach-H. Schalkwyk-L-C.
SO  Genomics.
    41 (2). 1997. 177-184.
AB  The puffer fish Fugu rubripes rubripes was recently introduced by S.
    Brenner et al. (1993, Nature 366: 265 268) as a new model for genomic
    studies. Due to difficulties in obtaining material from this Japanese
    marine puffer, we have started work on Tetraodon fluviatilis, a small,
    freshwater puffer fish that can be kept and bred in an aquarium. It
    was originally described by E. Hinegardner (1968, Am. Nat. 102(928)
    517-523) as the teleost with the smallest amount of DNA per cell (0.4
    pg, 380 Mb). To estimate the extent of divergence between T.
    fluviatilis and F. r. rubripes, part of the mitochondrial cytochrome b
    (cyt b) gene from both fishes was cloned and sequenced. A comparison
    of these two sequences indicated that F. r. rubripes and T.
    fluviatilis diverged approximately 18-30 million years ago, and
    phylogenetic analysis placed both fishes at the base of the
    Perciformes lineage. To facilitate and extend further the use of the
    puffer fish as a model for genome studies, we have constructed and
    characterized a T. fluviatilis cDNA library.

You might also want to try the Tree of Life Homepage, although I doubt
that will give you your exact answer.

http://ag.arizona.edu/tree/life.html

And, of course there is:

Nelson, J. S. 1994. Fishes of the World. 3rd Ed. John Wiley & Sons, New
York, N.Y.

Which might point you in the right direction.

Good luck....

--
Andreas Matern
alm13 at cornell.edu