Georgiana May geomay at MOLBIO.CBS.UMN.EDU
Fri Oct 14 13:02:44 EST 1994

I think we should seek to adopt more standard genetic terminology for our crossing experiments.  The problem, as I see it, is that we are NOT crossing parents, spores are gametes, the dikaron from which they come are the parents in the sense that breeders
use.  We just have long-lived gametes which are not available to plant and animal breeders.

So, could one scan the literature for what is done in other haploid/diploid systems?  What do the yeast breeders (for beer or wine?) do?

My only strong feeling is that we shouldn't be calling them parents but probably a lot of people will disagree.


More information about the Mycology mailing list