Mushrooms on TV

John Gosink gosink at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 25 16:43:03 EST 1995

In article <3njik1$rvn at onramp.arc.nasa.gov>, watson at pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
(John S. Watson - FSC) wrote:

> Did anyone else notice the scene in the last episode
> of StarTrek:Voyager?  The "Doctor" is in the holodeck
> inside a program emulating a forest.  They come across
> a batch of mushrooms, which the doctor confidently says
> are "Amanita muscaria".
>
> However, to me, they looked a lot more like oyster mushrooms
> (Pleurotus ostreatus) they probably picked up at the local super
> market.
>
> John S. Watson
> NASA Ames Research Center MS/257-7, Moffett Field, CA 94035
>
> "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til
it's gone ..."

Yes!  I saw that!  They were CERTAINLY not Amanita muscaria, but they
didn't look to be oyster mushrooms either.  They had a central stem, as
opposed to a lateral stem, white gills, no annulus or volva, and a
beige-white cap.  I suppose they could be oysters with a central stem.
They looked to me like shiitakes, only with a light cap instead of a brown
one.  Does such a variety exist?

Matthew Stoecker