Mushrooms on TV

Jeffrey Dean jdeanx1 at uga.cc.uga.edu
Wed Apr 26 08:53:56 EST 1995

watson at pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson - FSC) wrote:

> Did anyone else notice the scene in the last episode
> of StarTrek:Voyager?  The "Doctor" is in the holodeck
> inside a program emulating a forest.  They come across
> a batch of mushrooms, which the doctor confidently says
> are "Amanita muscaria".

You are right -- definitely not Amanitas.

> However, to me, they looked a lot more like oyster mushrooms
> (Pleurotus ostreatus) they probably picked up at the local super
> market.

Also probably right, although they were awfully healthy (large)
versions of P.ostreatus.

> John S. Watson
> NASA Ames Research Center MS/257-7, Moffett Field, CA 94035
>
> "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone ..."

*                              *                                      *
* Jeffrey F.D. Dean, Ph.D.     * "Ay," quoth my uncle Gloster,        *
* Department of Biochemistry   * "Small herbs have grace, great weeds *
*    and Molecular Biology     *    do grow apace:"                   *
* University of Georgia        * And since methinks, I would not grow *
* Athens, GA  30602-7229  USA  *    so fast,                          *
*                              * Because sweet flowers are slow, and  *
* jdeanx1 at uga.cc.uga.edu       *    weeds make haste.                 *
* (706) 542-1710               *                                      *
* (706) 542-2222 FAX           *      - Richard III, Act II, Sc 4     *