Random Russula Dinner

Jim Berlstein VPGH51A at prodigy.com
Fri Sep 8 16:18:39 EST 1995

Greetings fellow mycophiles,
      While walking my Great Danes through a lovely stretch of urban
seattle woods, I have noticed that it looks like a good beginning to
mushroom season. I have found a few chanterelles here, and a spirasis
crispa as well.  However, the woods are dominated by russulas.  Yesterday
I came upon a group of Asian immigrants filling there buckets with
virtually every species of russula they could find.  They apparently eat
all of them, and have done so before.  This is not the first time I have
seen this approach to mushroom hunting.  They did not include the common
Aminita Pantherina in thier buckets, which was a relief to me.  I showed
them my chanterelles, which they were not familiar with.  I will try and
see what species of russulas are available, as I am curious to see if I
can identify any poisonous species in my little woods. Normally, except
for Xerampilina I ignore this genus as much as possible.  Are others
familiar with this random russula approach to mushroom hunting?  I have
seen it practiced on at least 5 occaisons, and always by immigrants from
Asia.  While I do think that the typical mycophobic American attitude is
silly, this non-discriminating approach seems to take mycophilia a bit
too far.  Has anyone heard of poisonings occuring to this group of bold
mushroomers?
-
  JIM BERLSTEIN  VPGH51A at prodigy.com