Chanterelles: what's the best way to preserve?

JeremyBrowne Jeremy at
Thu Sep 5 12:44:25 EST 1996

In article <322E43B1.21EC at> pklym at "Paul Klym" writes:

> We have a whole bunch of Chanterelles.

> I'm looking for opinions on the best way to preserve them.
> Drying, freezing, canning??? We like eating them "straight",
> or, in simple pasta.

You could preserve them in oil:
1. Clean & slice 450g.
2. Boil in 300ml of water with 200ml wine vinegar for 8 mins.
3. Put in sterile, airtight jar(s) with half a cinnamon stick,
   6 peppercorns, 2 cloves, 1 garlic clove.
4. Add a bay leaf & fill up with extra virgin olive oil (mild)
5. Seal & keep in cool, dark place.

Looks pretty good, that! :-)
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
jeremy at
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)