Morchella and mykorrhiza

Scott Mcphee hyphae at email.msn.com
Fri Dec 4 00:57:04 EST 1998

I think what you have mentioned about scaring them into fruiting is very
reasonable, and quite likely, but:

I have to wonder about the rumored occurance of Morels growing in barbeques.
And their cultivation in trays at Morel Mountain?

On my father's property in SW Oregon, black morels (elata group) grow in
spots where huge slash piles were burned the previous spring. These are
intense fires that can last several days. I would doubt that anything could
survive under them. I know that morels form underground sclerotia that could
survive a light burn, but could they survive an intense prolonged fire right
on top of them?

I've also been chatting with a fellow from Costa Rica since this thread
began, and he spoke of the possibility of faculative mycorrhizae and/or
mycorrhizae through an intermediate fungus.

Regards,

Scott