Preserving Candida cultures

Lester Pasarell lpasarel at utmb.edu
Wed Dec 9 17:29:28 EST 1998

I have several procedures for the preservation of fungi in our procedure
manual
which is freely available at
http://www-fungus.utmb.edu/manual/promani.htm

in Adobe PDF format

In our lab, we grow the organism in PDA (potato dextrose)slants for a
couple of days
and then freeze at -70c,  some people do it at -20 and its ok too.
Some people may prefer using SDA (Saboraud) but I just do not
like it for preserving fungi.

To regrow them you just take the culture from the freezer and
chip the ice containing the fungus , transferring the ice/fungus
to a new medium, and then move the culture back to the freezer
not allowing it to thaw, your fresh subculture will grow in a couple of
days.
This method works well with almost all fungi that you may isolate
in a clinical, veterinary or environmental laboratory