Possible new truffle preservation method

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Thu Jan 6 07:19:16 EST 2000

I just heard of a new way of _possibly_ preserving truffles, and thought
I would pass it along.

A customer in Texas has _frozen_ his truffles in extra virgin olive oil.
I have never tried _freezing_ truffles in oil before, but am rather
excited by it. I have made truffle oil by refrigerating truffles in oil,
and have frankly been underwhelmed by the results. But, I merely
refrigerated truffles in oil before.

Freezing truffles in oil should force most of the aromatic esthers (the
elements which truffles are sought after) into the oil, where they
should be captured for later use. And the truffles should be as good as
frozen truffles as well! This may have created new preservation methods
while also created a new way of extending truffle use!

I will now try freezing both Oregon Black and Oregon White truffles in
oil to see if it works better than just creating truffle oil.

I can't recommend trying this method until I try it myself. But I am
excited by the potential. It would seem possible to create two high-
quality products - truffle oil and frozen truffles - for at least 6
months into the future, provided both oil and truffles are kept frozen
until used, and both are utilized within 2 months of thawing.

Since freezing truffles in oil creates anaerobic conditions not
conducive to truffle degradation, it may solve the problem of storing
truffles for long-term (up to 6 months) use.

If you have comments regarding this method of truffle storage, please
contact me - especially if you have already tried it.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com