Mushroom ID?

David W. Fischer -- www.fischer.nu basidium at aol.com
Fri Jul 28 19:55:13 EST 2000

Hello Bob,

Your polypore sounds to me like it could easily be Berkeley's
Polypore---Bondarzewia berkeleyi.  The surest way to confirm this would be to
take a look at the spores: they are "spiny-warted," and the "warts/spines" are
amyloid---i.e., they react to Melzer's solution.

>I am stumped
>
>I have a polypore that is similar in size, shape and stature to Laetioporus
>sulphureous.  However, it has white flesh and pores and the upper surface is
>light brown to buff.  It was found in New York State USA on the base of a
>living red oak. I have collected the alba version of the above referenced
>species and this is NOT it.
>
>Here's why.
>
>The white pore surface is maze-like.  It could be a Daledopia (spelling ?),
>however, it is neither black staining nor bitter.  In fact it tastes quite
>pleasant and has a pleasant anise odor.  It is also very soft w/ thick flesh
>and has a stalked shape rather than being shelf-like like the other
>mazed-pore
>polypores.  The cooked flesh was slightly tough and slightly bitter, however,
>sauted it on a higher heat and for slightly longer than normal (extra
>precaution because I didn't have an ID).
>
>Does anybody have any ideas what this is???
>
>Bob Linguanti
>Esculent Mushroom

David W. Fischer
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and
   "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
E-mail: basidium at aol.com
Website: http://members.aol.com/mycology