Digital Cameras for Fungi

Jim DuLaney jim at jimdulaney.com
Sun Jul 30 09:54:13 EST 2000

Nathan,

I recently purchased an Olympus C-3030 Zoom from amazon.com.   It has
incredible versatility including zoom, wide angle, and macro.   It allows
for many pixel compressions of jpeg files, all of which are good
quality.   It has a built-in flash, and it can be mounted on a
tripod.     I have taken several hundred photos with it of the forests and
forest floors in the Santa Fe and Carson National Forests.   It is
automatic, but allows manual override.  It uses smartcards which are
smaller than a matchbook cover and the 32 meg smartcard allows 330 photos
on the lowest quality, 40 on the high quality compression.    I print on a
Hewlett-Packard Office Jet 60R and the quality is extremely close to 35mm
enlargements from a color lab.    It uses rechargeable batteries or regular
AA and they last for hours.    The flexibility and convenience of a good
digital camera makes it a very useful tool.   It also can also shoot short
movies that run in Quick Time.    It allows viewing all photos on its LCD
and any can be deleted to save space on the smartcard.

I intend to use this camera to photograph mushrooms in our forests this
August and have total confidence in it.   The macro button allows the lens
to be within 12 inches of the subject, but with the manual and digital zoom
enabled, the subject will indeed fill your image.    The lens is fast
enough to use in dim light.   I am not sure if the built-in flash will
illuminate the subject while in macro mode, however.

Caveats:   it is very complex and the accompanying manual is essential.   I
refer to the manual daily.    I must add it is hard to get accustomed to
the shutter delay that all digital cameras have after using a Canon A-1 for
all these years.    There is also an Olympus C-3000 for less money that is
comparable.   Also, the 1 1/2 inch LCD monitor cannot be seen when in
direct sunlight, but is perfectly clear in the shadows.

Jim DuLaney

---