Lawn & Garden mushrooms

Nathan Wilson velosa at cinenet.net
Wed Jul 25 02:57:20 EST 2001

Here's my list for LA.  I've seen some other species in northern CA (e.g.
Morchella, Calocybe, additional Agaricus sps. and Pseudoclitocybe), but I
figured a list just for this specific region would be more interesting.
I've broken the list into strictly lawn/flower pot mushrooms, wood rotters
(only those seen in 'manmade' habitats) and mycorhizals (again just
in 'manmade' habitats).

Lawn/flower pot mushrooms:
Agaricus near arvensis (I believe it is a distinct undescribed species)
Agaricus californicus
Agaricus campestris
Agaricus xanthodermus
Bolbitius vitellinus
Chlorophyllum molybdites
Conocybe lactea
Coprinus atramentarius
Coprinus comatus
Coprinus lagopus
Coprinus micaceus
Coprinus plicatilis
Leucocoprinus birnbaumii
Leucocoprinus cepaestipes
Macrolepiota rachodes
Marasmius oreades
Marasmius sp. (red-brown cap, distinct white margin on gills)
Melanoleuca  sp. (smells like grape bubblegum as it gets older)
Panaeolina foenisecii
Phallus hadriani
Psathyrella candolleana
Vascellum pratense

Wood rotters:
Armillaria mellea
Flammulina velutipes
Laetiporus sulphureus

Mycorhizals:
Astraeus hygrometricus (planted live oaks)
Chroogomphus rutilus/vinicolor (planted pines)
Hebeloma crustuliniforme (planted live oaks and willows)
Lactarius pubescens var. betulae (non-native birch)
Leccinum scabrum (non-native birch)
Scleroderma cepa (planted line oaks)
Suillus pungens (planted pines)

Enjoy!