Fungi fd. 7 Sept. 2002

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Sep 19 03:49:25 EST 2002

costfamily at aol.com (CostFamily) wrote in message news:<20020916210501.00904.00004415 at mb-fk.aol.com>...
> I had sliced matsutake cooked over charcoals in a traditional Japanese
> resturant last week in Yokohama.  They cost $30.00 a slice.  I couldn't believe
> it!
The season is early for matsutake. Maybe some are coming out of
British Columbia now...but I suspect it's still early there.

Matsutake from Japan is likely rarer still.

BTW, Japanese matsutake is now known to be the same as Tricholoma (or
Armillaria) caligatum, and has been confirmed by DNA analysis to also
be found in Oregon at least. Will that make T. caligatum more sought
after in the US?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com