[Mycology] Re: introduction + mycorrhiza request

dwheeler from ipns.com via mycology%40net.bio.net (by dwheeler from ipns.com)
Wed Nov 28 05:10:25 EST 2007

On Nov 18, 12:18 pm, "Frederick Depuydt" <fdepu... from gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> my name is Frederick and my background in mycology is slim to none. My
> main devotion is culture of terrestrial orchids, I'm a
> micro-electronics engineer as profession, and a couple fo years ago I
> started an internet domain on the subject (terrorchid.org).
>
> The amount of terrestrial orchids that are waiting to be brought into
> culture is tremendous, but multiplication is one of the difficulties
> in making them accessible among growers and hybridisers. Asymbiotic IV
> recipees exist for a number of genera/species, but not for most of
> them. Seeds become available only sporadically, so there's a limited
> amount of experimenting one can do.
>
> One thing we have noticed, however, is that symbiotic IV with
> mycorrhiza has a higher germination success rate. This does not get
> rid of all the problems, but there's more confidence in using fungal
> cultures than a selfmade cocktail. Most of these seeds come from
> species of which virtually nothing is known except a photo or single
> publication. Mycorrhiza behave as 'black boxes' that get the job done
> in most occasions.
>
> Unfortunately, it's difficult to find identified or documented
> mycorrhiza in controlled culture. This is why I'm posting this
> message. We're looking for fungus banks that contain orchid
> mycorrhiza, either isolated from known orchids or locations, or known
> to help in orchid germination. Any help in pointing out such resources
> would be very much appreciated.
>
> In addition we've started to build a reference for orchid mycorrhiza:http://wiki.terrorchid.org/mycorrhiza:genera
> It's a limited reference for the moment, but it has potential.
>
> kind regards and thanks for your time,
> Frederick Depuydt
While a student at Oregon State University, I was informed that Helen
Gilkey had cultivated several species of Choleorhiza (sp?) orchids by
first growing Rhizopogon vinicolor (a very common hypogeous fungi
which the orchids live off of) first in association with Douglas-fir
seedlings. She was the only preson I know of who has been successful
at such cultivation.

It is illegal in California and Oregon to possess even a single flower
of these orchids. The fine, as I recall, used to be $500 per flower,
and a single stem of these orchids may have 40-200 flowers/buds/seed
pods on it. So possession of a stem if you are caught could net you a
rather hefty fine. OTOH, very few people know these are orchids
anyway...

Rhizopogon vinicolor is relatively easy to introduce to Douglas-fir. A
simple slurry of sporocarps sprayed 2-4 times on seedling trees will
ensure nearly 95% colonization of the rootlets if done during the
spring. Each slurry application should be done after 2-3 weeks
intervals, and preferably during a rain so spores can be washed into
the soil near the seedling tree rootlets. Spores not in close
proximity to rootlets do not appear to germinate.

Since R. vinicolor is mostly spores, a single average sporocarp of 1
inch diameter will inoculate around a million seedling trees, or
enough to reforest several square miles at 700 trees per acre.

Daniel B. Wheeler