IUBio

Novice requesting info on: interneurons & neural modelling

Mitchell Maltenfort mitchm at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Tue Jul 9 11:23:27 EST 1991

	Sorry for any mistakes, but I'm new to both the network and to
neuroscience.

	I'm a Ph.D. student in biomedical engineering, interested in neural
nets, neuroscience, signal processing and rehabilitation medicine.  Right
now, I'm looking at doing my doctoral research on modeling of the Renshaw
cell spinal circuit.  My hunch is that it is important in rhythmic motion
by creating a smooth transition between flexor and extensor activation, so
that motions are fluid without the jerkiness associated with "on-off"
control systems.

	My background and skills are mostly in signal processing and
systems identification, i.e. computer work.  I would appreciate any advice
on the experimental aspects of recording from and pharmacologically
inhibiting Renshaw cells.  I would also like to hear from anyone who has
written neural net software in which neurons are modelled by either the
Hodgkin-Huxley or Fitzhugh-Nagumo equations, and also from anyone who can
help me to train such a network to simulate real spinal circuits.

	What I'm planning to do for my Ph.D. proposal is to model the
neural activity during either respiration or fictive locomotion via Kalman
filters and/or embedded attractors.  If anyone has any practical experience
they can share (or data files they can E-mail), it would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.

	Mitchell Maltenfort
	Department of Biomedical Engineering
	Northwestern University