Neuron simulation - who's doing it?

Adrian Wrigley amtw at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 1 19:22:42 EST 1991

Sent to comp.ai.neural-nets but without any response:

> What is the current state-of-the-art in simulation of biologically
> plausible neural networks?
>
> By biologically plausible, I mean ones that propagate impulses
> that affect membrane potentials and synaptic weights by some
> nonlinear, perhaps time-variant law. (i.e. NOT back/prop etc.!).
>
> In particular, how many synapses/neurons are being simulated at what
> rate by the best worstations, and by supercomputers, with or without
> an 'accelerator'?
>
> I am interested in systems that could model part of the brain at the
> same rate as a live brain, i.e. a few hundred pulses/sec at most.
>
> Adrian Wrigley

This was probably a dumb question to ask anyway on c.ai.nn, so I'll
try another (no bordeom flames please - I'm new to this game and don't know
the jargon!). . .

Who out there has a simulation of groups of neurons operating with pulses
and local adaption algorithms?  I have been thinking of setting up a system
using 1000+ neurons operating on speech spectra in real time, and was
wondering how succesful simple (modified) Hebbian learning would be at
recognising phonemes/words? (which is the most appropriate newsgroup for this?)
--
Adrian Wrigley
Cambridge University Computer Laboratory, England.