Help! EEG spectral analysis...

hsteve at hydra.unm.edu hsteve at hydra.unm.edu
Mon Nov 11 14:29:40 EST 1991

In article <1991Nov1.013436.23545 at meteor.wisc.edu> stvjas at meteor.wisc.edu (Steve Jascourt) writes:
<In article <1991Oct28.051227.4611 at frodo.cc.flinders.edu.au>
<>We wish to assess the power of 40Hz activity in short period (100-200msec)
<>EEG records sampled at 1khz. The only spectral analysis tool available to
<>us is FFT based power spectrum calculation. I'm not at all confident
<>that this is the best approach, but have no way to assess this. Could
<>anyone *please* help us out ? I guess what I'm asking is whether
<>there exists a technique for measuring the power in a limited band, given
<>a restricted number of samples ?
<>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
<> _--_|\        James Tizard

Use an adaptive line enhancer which is simply a narrow bandpass filter.
You can implemt it with the LMS (Least Mean Square).  You will need to
calculate the autocorrelation function and a crosscorrelation function between
the desired output and the actual input.  See a book by Widrow and Stearn,
"Adaptive Signal Processing."

hopes this help.

--
    _---_     Steve