IUBio

What are the six different types of human neurons?

Mickey Rowe rowe at pender.ee.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 29 11:44:27 EST 1992

In article <20147 at castle.ed.ac.uk> pck at castle.ed.ac.uk (P C Knox) writes:
>bill at NSMA.AriZonA.EdU (Bill Skaggs) writes:
>
>>In article <1992Apr8.151118.4780 at watmath.waterloo.edu>
>>mwtilden at watmath.waterloo.edu (Mark W. Tilden) writes:
>>>
>>>During a recent neural-networks lecture, it was pointed out that
>>>comp-sci types only model one type of human neuron, where animal (human)
>>>bodys contain no less than six different types.

Sorry for all of the levels of indirection, but I wasn't here when
this discussion started.  I think that I can clear up the confusion
here (I don't think that anyone else pointed this out... at least not
in bionet.neuroscience, which is where I'm reading this and where I've
set followups).  Most likely what the person said was that the model
had six layers.  Although anatomists usually make subdivisions within
layers, it's been known for quite some time (based on
cytoarchitectonics, so I suspect that this goes back to Brodman) that
cortex is generally made of six layers of cells.  I've been to neural
network talks where the presenter made a big deal about his network
being similar to real brains in this fashion...

Mickey Rowe     (rowe at pender.ee.upenn.edu)