IUBio

What are the six different types of human neurons?

Bill Skaggs bill at NSMA.AriZonA.EdU
Wed Apr 8 18:57:05 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr8.151118.4780 at watmath.waterloo.edu>
mwtilden at watmath.waterloo.edu (Mark W. Tilden) writes:

>During a recent neural-networks lecture, it was pointed out that
>comp-sci types only model one type of human neuron, where animal (human)
>bodys contain no less than six different types.
>
>I know I could look this up, but what is a net for?  Could someone
>please post the names of these six, and, if possible, a short discription
>of their physiological locations and function (so far as is known).

  I doubt that you could look this up, because it's nonsense.
Animal bodies contain literally hundreds of different types of
neuron.  Even if you only distinguish on the basis of the
chemical neurotransmitter used, there are still at least several
dozen different types.  The functional consequences of these
differences have hardly begun to be explored by neural network
theorists.

	-- Bill