IUBio

Layers in Cortex (was Re: What are the six different types of human neurons?)

Ian Connolly connolly at cabot.balltown.cma.COM
Thu Apr 30 17:59:37 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr29.191226.18913 at u.washington.edu> wcalvin at hardy.u.washington.edu (William Calvin) writes:

>Don't take six layers of cerebral cortex too seriously.  Layer IV is
>usually subdivided into IVa, IVb, and IVc and they have quite different
>functions (see Jenny Lund's review in Ann. Rev. Neuroscience about 1988).

Actually, this brings up a question I have: Does a similar subdivision
exist for layer V?  I've gotten the impression that corticostriatal
projections start out mainly in layer V, but I was wondering if this
has been characterized any further.